Starting the day right is crucial for every grown-up. Why? Because the first thing that happens in your day can define the rest of it.
If your alarm clock didn’t go off and you start the day rushing to work, for example, you could end up wearing unmatched socks and wishing that the office got a coffee machine hire because you weren’t able to buy a cup of Joe at a nearby cafe. Every time you look at your feet, you’re reminded of how crappy you felt when you got out of bed that morning. Not a good thought to be with the whole day, eh?
Well, there are many things you can do to break that ugly morning ritual. Things that can actually help start your day better. You may not be able to do everything on this list, but just doing a couple could make a huge difference.
1. Open your blinds as soon as you wake up. You’ll find that the warmth and light of the morning sun can help wake up your body naturally.
2. Put some ambient sounds on. Perhaps the sound of rushing water or crashing waves can help ease you into a busy day without anxiety.
3. Exercise for 10 minutes, at the least. If you have time for a whole hour’s work out, that’s well and good. If not, run for 10 minutes on a treadmill, do yoga, or jump on a jump rope. Anything to get your heart pumping in the morning will help your mental processing speed through the day.
4. Use a colourful coffee mug. It shouldn’t only be the contents that could wake you up. Seeing a festive coffee mug can easily bring a smile to your sleepy face.
5. Be thankful for five minutes. Before getting out of bed, think of the things you’re thankful for and say them out loud.
These are simple tips that don’t even need a recipe. Try one and see how it works.